- Board of Directors ▼
- Council of Governors
- Equality and Diversity ▼
- Freedom of Information
- Key Documents ▼
- Trust Structure
- Vision and Values
- PROUD Awards 2016
We are one of the largest and busiest acute trusts in the North West of England.
NHS Foundation Trust status was given to us on July 1st 2007. This enables us to:
- Provide and develop healthcare according to the core NHS principles of free care based on need and not ability to pay
- Have greater freedom to decide our own strategy and the way we run our services
- Retain any financial surplus at the end of the year to reinvest in services and care provision
- Borrow to invest in new and improved services for patients and service users.
We have a key accountability to our local community through our public members and governors. We are also accountable to our commissioners (through contracts), Parliament and Monitor (the independent regulator of foundation trusts).
Providing a comprehensive range of high quality acute care services, our 5,600-strong workforce serves a population of about 400,000 people across Wirral, Ellesmere Port, Neston, North Wales and the wider North West footprint.
From 1st September 2014 we will comprise of the following three divisions supported by a smaller Corporate Services function, as a culmination of our re-organisation programme, announced in May 2014:
- Clinical Support and Diagnostics
- Medicine and Acute
- Surgery, Women’s and Children’s
- Clinical Support and Diagnostics – Amanda Farrell (Divisional Director) and Mark Lipton (Divisional Medical Director)
- Medicine & Acute – Chris Oliver (Divisional Director), Ranj Mehra (Divisional Medical Director), and Julie Reid (Acting Associate Director of Nursing)
- Surgery, Women’s & Children’s – Maureen Wain (Divisional Director), Mark Doyle (Divisional Medical Director), and Naomi Holder (Associate Director of Nursing).
We operate from two main sites (Arrowe Park Hospital and Clatterbridge Hospital), while also providing a range of services in community settings:
- Arrowe Park Hospital, Upton – delivering a full range of emergency and acute services for adults and children, plus maternity services
- Clatterbridge Hospital, Bebington – undertaking the majority of planned surgical services and some specialist rehabilitation
- St Catherine’s Community Hospital, Birkenhead – providing x-ray and some outpatient services
- Victoria Central Health Centre, Wallasey – providing x-ray and some outpatient services.
The full range of our services for local people include:
- Accident and emergency services for adults and children
- A diverse range of acute and non-acute specialties
- Outpatients services
- Day surgery services
- Level 3 neonatal services
Our clinical work is also complemented by corporate services, which comprises of; Executive Office, Operations and Strategy, Finance and Procurement, Human Resources and Organisational Development, Information, Patient and Public Involvement, Quality and Safety, Facilities and Estates Management, Corporate Nursing and Midwifery.
As one of the largest employers in Wirral, we’ve had significant recognition from our external organisations for our support for staff through effective policies, initiatives and partnership working approach.
The commitment to our staff reflects our wider commitment to improve internal efficiencies and develop high quality, people centred care.