Routine blood tests taken at booking include:
- Blood group and Rhesus factor
- Full Blood Count test for anaemia and Thalassaemia
- Virology tests for Hepatitis B, Syphilis, HIV and Rubella (German Measles)
The results of these are filed in your notes at the 20-week scan visit.
Should any need to be repeated, the community midwife will do this at a clinic.
- At 15-16 weeks the Quadruple screen for Down’s and Spina Bifida risk, is offered and is entirely optional.
- At 28 weeks the Full Blood Count and Rhesus factor tests are repeated
- At 36 weeks the Full Blood Count is repeated, to detect and treat possible anaemia prior to delivery
- After delivery, a Kleihaur test offered to all Rhesus Negative women and a Full Blood Count may be indicated