Gynaecology Assessment Unit (GAU)
We offer a fast-track nurse led comprehensive service for women referred by their GP with urgent gynaecological problems. Most women can be seen on the same day of referral.
- Diagnosis and management of women with severe pain or bleeding
- Diagnosis and management of women found or suspected to have pelvic masses, such as fibroids and ovarian cysts
- Pelvic ultrasound
- Patients will initially be seen by our nurse specialists with medical support if needed
- Patients will usually require an ultrasound scan of the pelvis in order to examine the womb and ovaries. This may be performed with a scan through the abdomen or an internal scan through the vagina using a slim probe
- Some patients will require extra procedures such as biopsy sample from inside the womb, smear tests and swabs. Patients may also require blood tests to help in the diagnosis of their condition.
Patients can be referred to the service by telephone through their GP, directly from our ultrasound department or by another health professional. Most investigations are performed within the unit at the first visit.
- Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.30pm