Paediatric Life Support (PLS) course
Paediatric Life Support course (ALSG)
The PLS course provides the knowledge and skills necessary for the initial recognition, treatment and stabilisation of
- children with life threatening emergencies, using a structured, sequential approach.
- The seriously ill and or injured child needs to be treated as an individual; there are four key differences that determine
- treatment: weight, anatomy, physiology, and psychology.
- The structured approach focuses the clinician on resuscitation, emergency treatment followed by continual stabilisation
- and then transfer to a definitive care environment.
- PLS aims to teach, practice and assess the acquisition and use of these technical skills. In addition, the human factors that
- generate the highest quality and safest health care provision are considered.
Who is this course suitable for?
This paediatric life support programme is for those from a medical, nursing, ECP, ODP or RTO background and all professions allied to medicine (PAMS)
PLS curriculum and key information
The programme comprises e-modules studied prior to attending a 1-day face-to-face course. The course is run throughout the UK
and overseas and the cost varies across centres.
Online modular education through our VLE: 5 e-modules
· Structured approach
· Human factors
· Management of Cardiac arrest
· Recognition of seriously ill child
· Recognition of Seriously injured child
Skill stations and workshops
· Basic life support
· Cardiac arrest rhythms and defibrillation
· Intraosseous infusion
· Structured approach to illness inc videos—summarised
· by simulation demonstration
· Structured approach to injury including skill station on
· spinal protection—summarised by simulation
· PLS simulations
1-day course with reviews, skills, simulations, demonstrations
· Seriously ill child
· Cardiac arrest management
Assessment and Certification
- Continuous assessment takes place throughout the face-to-face course on skill stations. If you are successful, PLS certification is valid for four years and includes access to our VLE.
eLearning. Candidates will be sent the eLearning access information, however, if you haven’t received the access information please feel free to contact the Resuscitation Services Team.
- Internal applicants (excluding medical staff) - please select the course you wish to attend via ESR
- External applicants & Medical staff / ANP’s - please contact the Resuscitation Services Team