Advice following a general anaesthetic
Anaesthetic drugs remain in the body for 24 hours and gradually wear off during this time therefore your judgement and natural reactions which ensure your safety will not be as quick as usual. Only leave the unit when you have been discharged by the nurse to be accompanied home by a responsible adult who is able to stay with you overnight.
- Do not drive a car or ride a bicycle for 24 hours
- Do not make important decisions or sign important documents for 24 hours
- Do not taking sleeping tablets the first night after your operation
- Do not drink alcohol for 24 hours
- Make sure you have access to a telephone
- Do not lock the bathroom door or make yourself inaccessible to the person looking after you