[Skip to Content]
Wirral University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Healthcare options in Wirral for Bank Holiday Monday 3rd May 2021

Healthcare options in Wirral for Bank Holiday Monday 3 May 2021

If you’re feeling unwell over the bank holiday and need urgent advice or treatment from a health professional, there are a number of healthcare options available.

Health information and advice

The best place to get accurate health information is the NHS website.

The NHS website has information and advice on:



For common illnesses, your local pharmacy will be able to give you advice on over the counter medications. Pharmacists are trained in managing minor illness and can assess symptoms and recommend the best course of treatment or simply provide reassurance, for instance when a minor illness will get better on its own with a few days’ rest.   And, if symptoms suggest it’s something more serious, they have the right clinical training to ensure you get the help you need.

Click here to see the pharmacies open on bank holiday Monday.


NHS 111

The Accident and Emergency department at hospital is for major, life-threatening illnesses and injuries.  If you have an urgent but not life-threatening medical need, please contact NHS 111 first rather than going straight to A&E.

If you do need urgent care, then NHS 111 can now book you in to be seen quickly and safely in A&E. As well as this, NHS 111 is also able to direct to or book an appointment at Urgent Treatment Centres, GP surgeries, pharmacies, emergency dental services and walk-in clinics.

Just think 111 first. When you think you need A&E, contact NHS 111 by phone or online at https://111.nhs.uk/

For life-threatening illnesses or injuries you should continue to dial 999. 


Mental Health Crisis

People experiencing mental health crisis should call Wirral's free mental health helpline on 0800 145 6485.  The phone line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is open to people of all ages – including children and young people.


Help and support from a GP

If you need to contact a GP, do not go into the surgery in person.

You can:

Your GP surgery will then give you advice about what to do.


Walk in Centres and Minor Injuries and Illness Services

Walk-in Centres and Urgent Treatment Centre

Nurse-led walk-in Centres provide assessment, treatment and advice for minor injuries and illnesses including infections and rashes, burns and strains, sore throats and ear aches, minor cuts and wounds.

Please note: The Walk-in Centres (WiC) and Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) have moved to a telephone triage and appointment system only.

Anyone needing to access the Walk-in Centre service should call: 0151 201 4190 (8.00am – 10.00pm)


Arrowe Park Walk-in Centre

Arrowe Park Hospital, Arrowe Park Road, Upton, CH49 5PE

Open Monday – Sunday 8.00am – 10:00pm (including bank holidays)

Victoria Central Walk-in Centre

Mill Lane, Wallasey, CH44 5UF

Open Monday – Sunday (including bank holidays) 8.00am – 8:00pm

X-ray facilities – open at 8.00am – 7.30pm


Minor injuries Unit/Illness Unit

Please note: Minor Injuries Unit has moved to a telephone triage and appointment system only.

Anyone needing to access the Minor Injuries/Illness unit should call 0151 652 6077 (8.00am – 10.00pm)

Miriam Minor Injuries

Birkenhead Medical Building, 31 Laird St, Birkenhead, CH41 8DB

Open Monday-Friday 08:00-20:00 and Saturday and Sunday 08:00-20:00