Patients are advised about the following changes to the Musculoskeletal Service.
All referrals to services to treat musculoskeletal conditions will now be sent to the Wirral Integrated Musculoskeletal Triage Service.
Wirral Integrated Musculoskeletal (MSK) Triage Service is a specialist service for patients aged 16 or over which consists of advanced physiotherapists and doctors who all specialise in orthopaedic/MSK medicine.
Musculoskeletal conditions (joint and muscle problems) can affect the spine, shoulder, elbow, wrist/hand, hip, knee, foot/ankle. The service aims to ensure people are seen by the right clinician first time and are supported to manage their condition.
What this change means for you
- Your GP referral will no longer be sent directly to a particular service eg Orthopaedics. Instead it will be sent to the Wirral MSK Triage Service. It will be assessed by a team of musculoskeletal specialist physiotherapists.
- Your referral may then be sent straight to a particular service to see a consultant e.g. Orthopaedics, Rheumatology or Pain clinic. In this case, you will be contacted by a booking clerk to make your choice of provider and consultant and to book an appointment.
- However, the specialist may think that you will benefit from seeing a therapist e.g. Physiotherapy, Osteopathy or Podiatry. In this case you will be given an appointment at a location closest to home.
- In some cases, you may benefit from a face to face assessment with an advanced musculoskeletal physiotherapist or a specialist doctor to find out more information from you and ensure that you are directed to the correct service for your problem. Our assessment clinics are held in the Physiotherapy Departments at Arrowe Park, Clatterbridge, St Catherine’s and Victoria Central Hospitals. At this appointment, you will be encouraged to discuss treatment options and ask questions. You may be given advice on how you can self-manage your condition. After your assessment, the clinician will make a referral to an appropriate service to meet your needs. This may be;
- Referral for diagnostic investigations: x-ray, MRI, CT, nerve conduction studies, ultrasound scans
- Referral for treatment including: Physiotherapy, Pain Management and Podiatry
- An appointment for a soft tissue or joint injection
- An Orthopaedic, Rheumatology, Pain Clinic or Neurosurgical consultant opinion.
- Your GP will be updated about the outcome of your assessment and treatment
- We work with other NHS organisations to provide MSK treatment. If required, information about you will be shared with that organisation to enable them to treat you effectively.
- You will be given a contact number for to call for advice throughout your treatment or following discharge.
When you will hear from us
We aim to contact you within 7 days of your GP referral to make an appointment suitable for you but it may take up to 4 weeks. It is helpful if we have a mobile telephone number so that you can easily be contacted. Please be aware that your GP may not refer you on the same day as your appointment. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please call 0151 604 7501 and choose OPTION 2.
Musculoskeletal Integrated Service Leaflet, Modified: 23/09/2019 9:52AM | Download: Musculoskeletal Integrated Service Leaflet